Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Remembering a parent with Alzheimer's

Sue Wronsky writes in the newspaper supplement I edit, "Healthy CNY" about her mother and Alzheimer's disease:

I don't recall the last "normal" conversation I had with my mother.

One of her many caregivers during her 11-year battle with Alzheimer's disease, I vividly remember our time together during the last years of her life. As it happens, the most recent memories of moments spent with this amazing woman - who had once been a world traveler, an advertising executive, a teacher, a Eucharistic minister, a military wife, an avid reader, a sister, a friend, a mother of seven and grandmother of 11 - were of feeding her lunches the consistency of baby food, giving her sponge baths, and trying to settle her unquiet thoughts by speaking softly in her ear as if she was a scared child....


Continue reading her essay (and see a picture of her mother)

No comments:

Post a Comment