Saturday, March 6, 2010

Introducing Amber Smith, medical journalist interested in dementia and Alzheimer's


This is my Dad, who--like so many others--hovers between the here and the hereafter in a body gripped with dementia. It's a sad situation, one with which many of you can identify.

For 22 years, I've covered health and medicine in some capacity for The Post-Standard in Syracuse, NY. I'm a devoted and passionate journalist who likes learning, enjoys writing and feels grateful to play a role in helping to make sense of our often-confusing healthcare system.

My background includes training (and volunteering) as a paramedic until parenthood provided other things for me to do with my time. I also spent three years to obtain a master's degree in Health Services Management and Policy. For a while, I taught at Syracuse University's S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications.

I'll blog here regularly, with news and information of interest to people affected by Frontotemporal Dementia (FTD) and Alzheimer's disease. Check back often. You can also follow me on Twitter, where I'll "tweet" each post.

Meanwhile, let me know if you've got a question related to dementia. I don't pretend to know everything, but I am pretty good at digging to find answers.


CBANMEP957TR







No comments:

Post a Comment